It seems like just yesterday that I offered to make coordinating quilts for the girls' dorm room for this year. And off we went to the local quilt shop to choose fabrics.
Okay, so maybe it was only a couple of weeks ago. But it's been a whirlwind and the quilts are finished and these girls are ready to start their freshman year! How stinking cute are they?!
Kelly wanted a disappearing nine patch quilt with lots of purple. She chose the purple border fabrics and I used solids from my stash.
Tanner wanted more aqua in her quilt and she found a photo of these blocks in a book. It had no pattern but was easy enough to draft one. I simply stacked the fabrics and cut them, then resewed alternating the fabrics. My local guild actually liked this so much I'm teaching the method in a workshop next week.
When quilts are going off to college, it's never a bad idea to quilt a name into them. This is a lot harder to remove than a label. I don't expect anyone would take it, but if it does get misplaced, it'll be easy enough to identify!
Making the quilts was the easy part of this whole transition for me, saying goodbye to my best friend is going to be a lot harder. Luckily, she'll only be 90 minutes away and I know she will have a wonderful time. I'm bringing lots of tissue for the car ride home. And I can't even think about next year, when I'll be sending all three off to college. I would be happy to take any advise and comfort you might want to offer.