The construction and painting are finished in my quilt room. I had painted the walls white a few years ago and quickly discovered that I am NOT a neutral lover when it comes to wall color. So I chose Sunflower by Sherwin Williams for the wall color this time. I love it! It's bold and bright but remember, much of the wall is covered in design walls and cabinetry, so bold is okay. That's just my opinion, but since it's my quilt room, I'm sticking with it!
I decided to fancy them up with some cute painted knobs I found online. I was going to have to buy knobs anyway, so why not go for some fun ones?
I also decided a butcher block counter top would be most practical and cost effective. I could have gone with laminate but the in stock choices were hideous. Also, the counters are often where I do my photography so I wanted to natural wood. It was easy enough to install (since I had two strong men to carry it...no stress for me!)
I used a conditioner and a wax finish on it. Super easy and I can always wax it again when it starts to show wear.
The back splash area is covered in cork tiles. I installed these on a day when it was raining and think they were swollen because they have since shrunk! Also, the two sided tape I used isn't holding them very well so I think I'm going to have to glue them. I was hoping to avoid that. I like that they give me lots of area to display notes and blocks and other things I want to keep handy.
I chose to only have two top cabinets installed and ordered two pieces of shelving to connect the cabinets. This allows me to see my pretty fat quarter bundles and other fun stuff while keeping it off my work surfaces. I hope this is going to help me keep things tidy, time will tell...
You will notice there is lots of empty space in the middle of the room. Someone mentioned that I needed to make room for a longarm, and while I won't believe it until I see it, I decided it's best to be prepared just in case.
Bill assembled both of the red cabinets that were ordered from Target on the recommendation made by Tonya and I love them. Thanks Tonya!
Edited to add:
The link for the cabinet is here. I also bought the small version here. You can see the color is much darker and richer than the website shows. It is heavy and requires assembly. Hubby mentioned something about 37 screws in the back panel LOL. It is very sturdy once assembled and I am super happy with it. My only complaint is that the doors don't completely meet in the middle, there's a small gap. And I didn't pay full price, watch and wait, it goes on sale frequently!
Edited to add:
I have florescent lights installed in the ceiling. Three full size panels. It is very bright in my room. I like it that way for photography. I also have a couple of windows and lamps. The lighting is more than would typically be installed, but I had them add those when we originally finished this room in the basement, knowing I would need it down the line.
Feel free to ask questions in the comments below. I will gladly share sources, etc. I hope you enjoyed this peek into my 'new and improved' sewing space.