It's time for my annual guild retreat again! I've been doing this for 20 years and I've learned a few things along the way.
I shared how to pack HERE and some good tips HERE so I decided to share my thoughts going into this year's retreat. I hope you find this information helpful to keep in mind before you leave on your next retreat.
- Verify your machine is in good working order and has been serviced. Make sure all of the parts needed are included. Don't show up without your machine foot, it will impede your sewing abilities!
- Pre-wind lots of bobbins and bring extra thread, needles, and rotary blades. Even if you don't need them, someone is sure to, and then you will have a new best friend!
- Cut strips, blocks, or even make up entire pre-cut kits. Sitting at your machine sewing will be more productive than waiting in line for the cutting mat or iron!
- Bring healthy snacks to share (and non healthy ones will be appreciated as well!)
- Bring magazines to pass along after you've read them. I've discovered magazines this way that have become favorites.
- Have an open mind and make it a goal to meet someone new, or get to know an acquaintance better. This will be even more rewarding than a finished sewing project!
- Bring several books to read. You might not like your first choice, or you might finish it.
- Bring walking shoes. Take a walk before or after every meal, or in the mornings, or whenever it feels best. Your body will thank you.
- Check out the facilities online and see if there is a pool, or hiking trails. Plan accordingly. Or bring your own yoga mat...this is a retreat for your body as well as your sewing projects, reward it!
I would love to hear about your retreat tips and advice. And remember, I'm available to teach at your retreat if you want to hire me, visit my workshops page HERE. I can customize an experience just for your group!