Monday, December 30, 2019
20 for 2020
Welcome to the new year, the new decade and the new opportunity to make your life more intentional one choice at at time! I've decided to embrace the beginning of the new year by taking a few moments to reflect back and to look forward.
I am not a big 'resolutions' kind of person, but I do love my lists (as you all well know by now! ha) and I do like to use them to keep myself on track and going in a direction of choice rather than aimlessly wandering through my days, getting sidetracked by every sparkly thing that grabs my attention. While that might seem like fun, it leaves me feeling like I haven't gotten anything accomplished.
I also like to take a regular look at my list of choices and update it or make changes as I go. I'm not stuck in a rut of getting something done just because it's on the list. I make the list, I can change the list. I read a really great book recently called Big Dreams Daily Joys that really breaks down the process of being productive and getting the things done that matter most. I would highly recommend this book! It's a good resource to go back to again and again.
So all this is to say I have my list for 2020 and sharing it makes me a bit more accountable. So here goes...
1. Attend 120 Pilates classes. With my work and travel schedule this may be a challenge, but I love the way I feel when I make the time and effort!
2. Read 60 Books. I read 54 this year, and this includes the books I listen to while traveling.
3. Finish 10 quilts and donate them to charity. I have 3 almost complete.
4. Walk a 5K every week. I know this is good for me and the dog will love it! I think it will be more enjoyable if I learn how to do listen to audio books on my phone (see # 14)
5. Go on a trip with my husband. He travels for work and I want to go along with him on a trip. He likes it when I travel with him but coordinating it can be a challenge.
6. Learn how to use EQ8. I have had it for a year now, it's time to figure it out!
7. Finish a custom quilt on my longarm using rulers.This is half complete. I just need to schedule the time to get it done.
8. Publish 3 patterns that are in various stages of development. So excited to share some super fun stuff I've been playing with!
9. Submit a design to an international magazine. Very intimidating, but I like a challenge!
10. Reduce sugar in my diet. I'm addicted to sugar and I hate the way it make me feel.
11. Clean out my quilt closet. This is scary, as it's a big closet, but I need to purge and sort and remind myself what's lurking in there!
12. Attack the attic and leave only what is necessary. I know there are things up there that really need to go to a new home, it's time to make that happen.
13. Rework my office space for more efficiency. I have two different desk areas, I want to consolidate and make it more comfortable.
14. Learn how to listen to audio books on my phone/car. Technology can get the best of me but I don't want to be the old lady who can't do things for herself. I need to learn how this stuff works!
15. Clean out the closets.
16. Develop a meaningful AM routine with yoga/stretching. I've never been a morning person, and I think I need a routine that will help me with that.
17. Design a new Block of the Month for fun. These have been so much fun to share the last few years, I definitely have some ideas, and I am looking forward to this!
18. Make pillowcases for charity out of stash fabrics. Leftover yardage from backings that is lingering in my stash needs to be put to good use.
19. Attend the Birmingham Quilt Festival. I have wanted to do this for years, maybe I can make it happen this year.
20. Remake a small version of Razzmatazz in neutrals. I love this quilt from my first book, but I want a small version in soft neutrals. I have the vision in my head, now I need to make it happen in fabric!
I am not under any illusions. I realize this is big and challenging stuff. I plan to track it on a weekly and monthly basis to see how I'm doing. I will update here occasionally as well.
So what are your 20 for 2020? Or are you just waiting to be surprised by it? Either way is great, no judging here. Whatever you choose, I hope 2020 is your best year yet!